Monday, June 2, 2008

A great idea gone bad


I get asked all the time "Do you make clothes for yourself/" and I answer "No". Why you ask? Because I never have really tried and if I can sew little toddler clothing, then making myself something should be a piece of cake!

So I bought some Amy Butler fabric, which I LOVE, and thought this would be fabulous in a fun and flirty summer skirt! Fun yet classy. Off to the fabric store to buy some of this fab fabric.

I love to sew freely and not use patterns all the time and just like the fun little girly skirts I make my girls why would I need a pattern for myself? I washed the fabric and ironed it and cut it out - 3 different prints. How exciting!

The end result.....not good. As I put the skirt on I could not wait to look into the mirror, Holy Cow! My fun, sophisticated, designer fabric summer skirt was oh not so flattering at all! It had the lower half of my body resembling a familiar farm animal....sorry Daisy. It was a goood, no great, idea gone bad. And what does one do when she tries something out that does not work? She tries again, yes again! I made another skirt and spent 2 hours "upsizing" the Insa skirt pattern and this one turned out even worse! I will spare you the photos on the second skirt.



In the essence of making lemonade out of lemons, as the saying goes, I made a fun little apron dress out of my unflattering skirt! I just love it and it is up for auction today starting at $35 with no reserve!





6 comments:

Isabel Inspired Designs said...

OMG, your cowa*s skirt makes an adorable little girl dress!!! LOVE IT! You are too funny, I still want to see pictures of the second one though, HA

Amy said...

Photos will cost you LOL

Willow Tree said...

ROFL dont you just hate it when that happens:)
Brooke

Holly Stocke said...

Love the doggie pic!

With my ever growing belly, that elastic waist looks pretty good. I'll take whatever you don't want. Everything makes me look like a cow right now, so at least I can be a cow with style, right?

Amy said...

LOL Holly - you are not a cow!

Gumdrop*Shop said...

Amy- I have a huge stash of vintage patterns in mys size- I just dont like making things so big- when you are used to making things in a size 6 tops a adult size seams--well enormous!

Melissa