Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Just call me Martha


I recently restyled our master bedroom. I love to change things up in the house, not a good habit for the pocketbook, but it is a great feeling to have that fresh and new feeling!

I just could not find any artwork that I liked in the color scheme I needed for something above the bed...so a little improvisation was in order. I made 3 total pieces, all in coordinating colors for under $25 total! I am a very creative person and just love how this turned out so I had to share.

You can find all of these supplies at your local Hobby Lobby or most other craft stores.

List of supplies:
Modge Podge
Paint Brush
12x12 Artist Canvas
Choose your favorite piece of designer Scrapbook paper or you can use fabric but you will have to cut it to size

1. Brush on a thin layer of the modge podge to your artist canvas.

2. Gently lay your paper or fabric over the canvas and you will need to be careful how you smooth it out to remove any air bubbles. A few got left behind on mine and when I tried to smooth them out they wrinkled a bit which only added more character to my art and it looks very unique.

3. Let it sit for about 10 min and you can even lay it face down and put something heavy on top such as a phone book to insure the seams all seal together well.

4. When it is dry take your paint brush again and go over the top of the paper or fabric now and give it a really nice coat. Let this dry, should take about an hour.

5. After it is dry it will have a nice sheen to it and you can actually see the brushstrokes in it so it looks painted on! Voila you are done! Now that was not that hard was it?

Crafty Shmafty!

6 comments:

Lula Bee said...

Amy! Those are gorgeous! We must be hanging out on the same wavelength because... I just did the same thing in London's room a few months ago! Did you see that birdie art at Pottery Barn Kids?? Well, I redid her room in birds and cherries and couldn't find any artwork I liked so I totally bit that idea from PBK and made these.. love the podge!

http://www.practiceboard.com/?8764333

Isabel Inspired Designs said...

How crafty are you!
Very cool, love the artwork Amy!
Can you fly over here and redecorate my house now? :)

Vanessa and Company said...

Love the artwork! So beautiful!! My bedroom is a shambles, and desperately needs a makeover!!

Amy said...

Alison - I LOVE what you did with yours - is that fabric? Just love how it turned out!

Lula Bee said...

Hey Thanks Amy! No, not fabric (belive me if those were fabrics I would sewing up a storm with them-LOVE those prints). It is all scrapbooking paper and rick rack. I have always loved the prints on scrapbooking paper but never had a thing to do with it until I figured out to use it this way. Oh Boy! Something new to buy! I'm re-doing my son's room now that he is a BIG boy (6) with solar syatem stuff so I want to make some for him with rockets and planets.

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Wow! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
Missy